On Apr 2, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> I’ve also heard that the risk for unexpected failure of your pool is higher
> if/when you reach 100% capacity.  I’ve heard that you should always create a
> small ZFS filesystem within a pool, and give it some reserved space, along
> with the filesystem that you actually plan to use in your pool.  Anyone care
> to offer any comments on that?

Define "failure" in this context?

I am not aware of a data loss failure when near full.  However, all file systems
will experience performance degradation for write operations as they become
full.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com