I worked around the problem by first creating a filesystem of the same name
with compression=gzip on the target server. Like this:

zfs create sas/archive
zfs set compression=gzip sas/archive

Then I used zfs receive with the -F option:

zfs send -vR promise1/arch...@daily.1 | zfs send zfs receive -vFd sas

And now I have gzip compression enabled locally:

zfs get compression sas/archive
NAME         PROPERTY     VALUE     SOURCE
sas/archive  compression  gzip      local

Not pretty, but it works.

Daniel Bakken