On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Erik Trimble wrote:
While that's great in theory, there's getting to be a consensus that 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" Sata drives are really going to be the last usable capacity.

Agreed. The 2.5" form factor is rapidly emerging. I see that enterprise 6-Gb/s SAS drives are available with 600GB capacity already. It won't be long until they also reach your 1TB "barrier".

So, while it's nice that you can indeed seemlessly swap up drives sizes (and your recommendation of using 2x7 helps that process), in reality, it's not a good idea to upgrade from his existing 1TB drives.

It would make more sense to add a new chassis, or replace the existing chassis with one which supports more (physically smaller) drives. While products are often sold based on their ability to be upgraded, upgrades often don't make sense.

Now, in the Real Near Future when we have 1TB+ SSDs that are 1cent/GB, well, then, it will be nice to swap up. But not until then...

I don't see that happening any time soon. FLASH is close to hitting the wall on device geometries and tri-level and quad-level only gets you so far. A new type of device will need to be invented.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn