Well I would like to thank everyone for there comments and ideas.

I finally have this machine up and running with Nexenta Community edition and
am really liking the GUI for administering it. It suits my needs perfectly and
is running very well. I ended up going with 2 X 7 RaidZ2 vdevs in one pool for
a total capacity of 10 TB.

One thing i have noticed that seems a littler different from my previous
hardware raid controller (Areca) is the data is not constantly being written to
the spindles. For example i am copying some large files to the array right now
(approx 4 gigs a file) and my network performance is showing a transfer rate on
average of 75MB/s. When i physically watch the server i only see a 1-2 second
flury of activity on the drives then about 10 seconds of no activity. Is this
the nature of ZFS?

Thanks for all the help!