Hi,

> I started off my setting up all the disks to be
> pass-through disks, and tried to make a raidz2 array
> using all the disks. It would work for a while, then
> suddenly every disk in the array would have too many
> errors and the system would fail.

I had exactly the same experience with my Areca controller. Actually, I
couldn't get it to work unless I put the whole controller in jbod mode. Neither
12 x "Raid-0 arrays" with single disks nor pass-through was workable. I had
kernel panic and pool corruption all over the place, sometimes with, sometimes
without additional corruption messages from the areca panel.I am not sure if
this relates to the rest of your problem, though.

Regards,

Tonmaus