On Mon, April 12, 2010 09:10, Willard Korfhage wrote:

> If the firmware upgrade fixed everything, then I've got  a question about
> which I am better off doing: keep it as-is, with the raid card providing
> redundancy, or turn it all back into pass-through drives and let ZFS
> handle it, making the Areca card just a really expensive way of getting a
> bunch of SATA interfaces?

Unless there's a specific feature that the card does, I'd say that ZFS
would give you more capabilities: scrubbing, reporting, recovery on
checksum errors, more efficient rebuilds (i.e., only copying blocks that
are used). If the hardware ever goes south, you'll also be able to have to
move the disks to any arbitrary machine and do a 'zpool import'.

At least for DAS, there are very few reasons to use fancy cards nowadays
(also true with Linux and LVM to a certain extent).