Richard Elling wrote:
On Apr 14, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Yariv Graf wrote:

From my experience dealing with > 4TB you stop writing after 80% of zpool
utilization

YMMV. I have routinely completely filled zpools. There have been some
improvements in performance of allocations when free space gets low in
the past 6-9 months, so later releases are more efficient.
 -- richard

I would echo Richard here, and add that it also seems to be dependent on the usage characteristics.

That is, using in a write-mostly (or, write-almost-exclusively) form seems to result in no problems filling a pool to 100% - so, if you're going to use the zpool for (say) storing your DVD images (or other media-server applications), then go ahead, and plan to fill the pool up.

On the other hand, doing lots of write/erase stuff (particularly with a wide mix of file sizes) does indeed seem to cause performance to drop off rather quickly once 80% (or thereabouts) capacity is reached. For instance - I routinely back up my local developers' workstation's disks to a ZFS box using rsync, rapidly changing the contents of my zpool each night (as I also expire old backups more than 1 week old). That machine hits a brick wall on performance at about 82% full (6-disk 250GB 7200RPM SATA in a raidz1).

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support