On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Don wrote:

I'm curious if anyone knows how ZIL slog performance scales. For example- how much benefit would you expect from 2 SSD slogs over 1? Would there be a significant benefit to 3 over 2 or does it begin to taper off? I'm sure a lot of this is dependent on the environment- but rough ideas are good to know.

I don't know the answer but I expect that the answer depends quite a lot on the nature of the SSDs used. A STEC Zeus IOPS SSD (45K IOPS) will behave quite differently than an Intel X-25E (~3.3K IOPS). A SRAM or DRAM-based "drive" (with FLASH backup) will behave dramatically differently than a typical SSD.

If the SSD employed supports sufficient IOPS and bandwidth, then adding more will not help since it is not the bottleneck.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn