I would advise getting familiar with the basic terminology and vocabulary of
ZFS
first.  Start with the Solaris 10 ZFS Administration Guide.  It's a bit more
complete
for a newbie.

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461?l=en

You can then move on to the Best Practices Guide, Configuration Guide,
Troubleshooting Guide and Evil Tuning Guide on solarisinternals.com:

http://www.solarisinternals.com//wiki/index.php?title=Category:ZFS

All of the features in ZFS on Solaris 10 appear in OpenSolaris; the inverse
does
not necessarily hold true, as active development occurs on the OpenSolaris
trunk
and updates take about a year to filter back down into Solaris due to
integration
concerns, testing, etc.

A Separate Log (SLOG) device can be used for a ZIL, but they are not
necessarily
the same thing.  The ZIL always exists, and is part of the pool if you have
not
defined a SLOG device.

The zpool.cache file does not reside in the pool.  It lives in /etc/zfs in
the root
file system of your OpenSolaris system.  Thus, it does not reside "on the
ZIL
device" either, since there may not necessarily be a SLOG (what you would
term
a "ZIL device") anyway.  (There is always a ZIL, though.  See remarks
above.)

Hopefully that clears up some of the misconceptions and misunderstandings
you
have.

Cheers!

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 06:52, Michael DeMan <sola...@deman.com> wrote:

> Also, pardon my typos, and my lack of re-titling my subject to note that it
> is a fork from the original topic.  Corrections in text that I noticed after
> finally sorting out getting on the mailing list are below...
>
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 3:26 AM, Michael DeMan wrote:
>
> > By the way,
> >
> > I would like to chip in about how informative this thread has been, at
> least for me, despite (and actually because of) the strong opinions on some
> of the posts about the issues involved.
> >
> > From what I gather, there is still an interesting failure possibility
> with ZFS, although probably rare.  In the case where a zil (aka slog) device
> fails, AND the zpool.cache information is not available, basically folks are
> toast?
> >
> > In addition, the zpool.cache itself exhibits the following behaviors (and
> I could be totally wrong, this is why I ask):
> >
> > A.  It is not written to frequently, i.e., it is not a performance impact
> unless new zfs file systems (pardon me if I have the incorrect terminology)
> are not being fabricated and supplied to the underlying operating system.
> >
> The above 'are not being fabricated' should be 'are regularly being
> fabricated'
>
> > B.  The current implementation stores that cache file on the zil device,
> so if for some reason, that device is totally lost (along with said .cache
> file), it is nigh impossible to recover the entire pool it correlates with.
> The above, 'on the zil device', should say 'on the fundamental zfs file
> system itself, or a zil device if one is provisioned'
>

> > possible solutions:
> >
> > 1.  Why not have an option to mirror that darn cache file (like to the
> root file system of the boot device at least as an initial implementation)
> no matter what intent log devices are present?  Presuming that most folks at
> least want enough redundancy that their machine will boot, and if it boots -
> then they have a shot at recovery of the balance of the associated (zfs)
> directly attached storage, and with my other presumptions above, there is
> little reason do not to offer a feature like this?
> Missing final sentence: The vast amount of problems with computer and
> network reliability is typically related to human error.  The more '9s' that
> can be intrinsically provided by the systems themselves helps mitigate this.
>

> > Respectfully,
> > - mike

> you do to ensure the second head always has a current copy of the
> zpool.cache file?
> >>
> >> By definition, the zpool.cache file is always up to date.

> can't import the pool on my second head.
> >>
> >> I'd rather not have multiple failures, either.  But the information
> needed in the
> >> zpool.cache file for reconstructing a missing (as in destroyed)
> top-level vdev is
> >> easily recovered from a backup or snapshot.
> >> -- richard

> [...]

"You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals." - Equity Private

"If Linux is faster, it's a Solaris bug." - Phil Harman

Blog - http://whatderass.blogspot.com/
Twitter - @khyron4eva