A few things come to mind...

1. A lot better than...what?  Setting the recordsize to 4K got you some
deduplication but maybe the pertinent question is what were you
expecting?

2. Dedup is fairly new.  I haven't seen any reports of experiments like
yours so...CONGRATULATIONS!!  You're probably the first.  Or at least
the first willing to discuss it with the world as a matter of public record?

Since dedup is new, you can't expect much in the way of previous
experience with it.  I also haven't seen coordinated experiments of various
configurations with dedup off then on, for comparison.

In the end, the question is going to be whether that level of dedup is going

to be enough for you.  Is dedup even important?  Is it just a "gravy"
feature
or a key requirement?  You're in un-explored territory, it appears.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:41, tim Kries <tim.kr...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am playing with opensolaris a while now. Today i tried to deduplicate the
> backup VHD files Windows Server 2008 generates. I made a backup before and
> after installing AD-role and copied the files to the share on opensolaris
> (build 134). First i got a straight 1.00x, then i set recordsize to 4k (to
> be like NTFS), it jumped up to 1.29x after that. But it should be a lot
> better right?
>
> Is there something i missed?
>
> Regards
> Tim
> --

"You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals." - Equity Private

"If Linux is faster, it's a Solaris bug." - Phil Harman

Blog - http://whatderass.blogspot.com/
Twitter - @khyron4eva