My use case for opensolaris is as a storage server for a VM environment (we
also use EqualLogic, and soon an EMC CX4-120). To that end, I use iometer
within a VM, simulating my VM IO activity, with some balance given to easy
benchmarking. We have about 110 VMs across eight ESX hosts. Here is what I do:

* Attach a 100G vmdk to one Windows 2003 R2 VM
* Create a 32G test file (my opensolaris box has 16G of RAM)
* export/import the pool on the solaris box, and reboot my guest to clear
caches all around
* Run a disk queue depth of 32 outstanding IOs
* 60% read, 65% random, 8k block size
* Run for five minutes spool up, then run the test for five minutes

My actual workload is closer to 50% read, 16k block size, so I adjust my
interpretation of the results accordingly.

Probably I should run a lot more iometer daemons.

Performance will increase as the benchmark runs due to the l2arc filling up, so
I found that running the benchmark starting at 5 minutes into the work load was
a happy medium. Things will get a bit faster the longer the benchmark runs, but
this is good as far as benchmarking goes.

Only occasionally due I get wacko results, which I happily toss out the window.

Scott