> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of aneip
>
> I really new to zfs and also raid.
>
> I have 3 hard disk, 500GB, 1TB, 1.5TB.
>
> On each HD i wanna create 150GB partition + remaining space.
>
> I wanna create raidz for 3x150GB partition. This is for my document +
> photo.
>
> As for the remaining I wanna create my video library. This one no need
> any redundancy since I can simply backup my dvd again.
>
> The question would be, if I create strip pool from the remaining space
> (350 + 850 + 1350 GB space). What happen if 1 of the HD failure. Do I
> loose some file of I loose the whole pool?

Something for you to be aware of:

With your raidz set, as you know, you're protected against data loss if a
single disk fails.
As you know, with the stripe set, your whole pool is lost if a single disk
fails.

But what you might not know:  If any pool fails, the system will crash.  You
will need to power cycle.  The system won't boot up again; you'll have to
enter failsafe mode.  Failsafe mode is very unfriendly working environment;
by default you can't backspace, or repeat commands with the up arrow key,
stuff like that.  But you can enable this much if you launch bash.  Then, by
some magical combination of zpool destroy or zpool offline, or zpool export,
or something ... You'll be able to make your first pool "Degraded" which is
to say, functional but at risk if another device fails.  And you'll be able
to make your second pool nonexistent.  And then you can reboot normally.

None of these disks can be the OS boot disks.  The OS must reside on a
single simple disk, or on a mirror of disks.