On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Peter Tripp <petertr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone with a stronger understanding of ZFS tell me why a degraded
> RaidZ2 (minus one disk) is less efficient than RaidZ1?  (Besides the fact
> that your pools are always reported as degraded.)  I guess the same would
> apply with RaidZ2 vs RaidZ3 - 1disk.

My understanding of things is along the lines of:

A raidz1 vdev writes out data along with 1 parity block.

A raidz2 vdev writes out data along with 2 parity blocks.  A degraded raidz2
offers the same redundancy level as a healthy raidz1, but it still writes
out (or at least calculates) 2 parity blocks.

Thus, the degraded raidz2 vdev does more work than a healthy raidz1, even
though they both provide the same level of redundancy.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com