> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Peter Tripp
> here, I'll swap it in for the sparse file and let it resilver.
>
> Can someone with a stronger understanding of ZFS tell me why a degraded
> RaidZ2 (minus one disk) is less efficient than RaidZ1?  (Besides the
> fact that your pools are always reported as degraded.)  I guess the
> same would apply with RaidZ2 vs RaidZ3 - 1disk.

If a raidz2 is degraded by one disk, then the remaining volume has
equivalent redundancy to a healthy raidz1.  This is true.

However, the double parity calculation and/or storage could possibly perform
slower than a healthy raidz1.  I don't know if that's just an unfounded
fear, or if perhaps there's some reality behind it.  Good question.  I don't
know the answer.