adding on...

On Apr 28, 2010, at 8:57 AM, Tomas Ögren wrote:

>>> Experience seconded entirely. I'd like to repeat that I think we
>>> need more efficient load balancing functions in order to keep
>>> housekeeping payload manageable. Detrimental side effects of scrub
>>> should not be a decision point for choosing certain hardware or
>>> redundancy concepts in my opinion.
>>
>> While there may be some possible optimizations, i'm sure everyone
>> would love the random performance of mirror vdevs, combined with the
>> redundancy of raidz3 and the space of a raidz1.  However, as in all
>> systems, there are tradeoffs.
>>
>> To scrub a long lived, full pool, you must read essentially every
>> sector on every component device, and if you're going to do it in the
>> order in which your transactions occurred, it'll wind up devolving to
>> random IO eventually.
>>
>> You can choose to bias your workloads so that foreground IO takes
>> priority over scrub, but then you've got the cases where people
>> complain that their scrub takes too long.  There may be knobs for
>> individuals to use, but I don't think overall there's a magic answer.
>
> We have one system with a raidz2 of 8 SATA disks.. If we start a scrub,
> then you can kiss any NFS performance goodbye.. A single mkdir or
> creating a file can take 30 seconds.. Single write()s can take 5-30
> seconds.. Without the scrub, it's perfectly fine. Local performance
> during scrub is fine. NFS performance becomes useless.
>
> This means we can't do a scrub, because doing so will basically disable
> the NFS service for a day or three. If the scrub would be less agressive
> and take a week to perform, it would probably not kill the performance
> as bad..

Which OS release?

Later versions of ZFS have a scrub/resilver throttle of sorts.
There is not an exposed interface to manage the throttle and I doubt
there is much (if any) community experience with using it in real-world
situations.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com