Roy,

Thanks for your reply.

I did get a new drive and attempted the approach (as you have suggested pre
your reply) however once booted off the OpenSolaris Live CD (or the rebuilt new
drive), I was not able to import the rpool (which I had established had sector
errors). I expect I should have had some success if the vdev labels were intact
(I currently suspect some critical boot files are impacted by bad sectors
resulting in failed boot attempts from that partition slice). Unfortunately, I
didn't keep a copy of the messages (if any - I have tried many permutations
since).

At my last attempt ... I installed knoppix (debian) on one of the partitions
(also allowed access to smartctl and hdparm too - I was hoping to reduce the
read timeout to speed up the exercise), then added zfs-fuse (to access the
space I will use to stage the recovery file) and added dd_rescue and gnu
ddrescue packages. smartctl appears not to be able to manage the disk while
attached to usb (but I am guessing because don't have much experience with it).

At this point I attempted dd_rescue to create an image of the partition with
bad sectors (hoping there were efficiencies beyong normal dd) but it was at
5.6GB in 36 hours, so again I needed to abort however it does log the blocks
attempted so far so hopefully I can skip past them when I next get an
opportunity. Although it does now appear that gnu ddrescue is the preferred of
the two utilities which I may opt to use to look at creating an image of the
partition before attempting recovery of the slice (rpool).

As an aside, I noticed that the knoppix 'dmesg | grep sd' command which
reflects the primary partition devices, no longer appears to reflect the
solaris partition (p2) slice devices (as it would the extended p4 partitions
logical partition devices configured). I suspect due to this, the rpool (one of
the solaris partition slices) appears not to be detected by the knoppix
zfs-fuse 'zpool import' (although I can access the zpool which exists on
partition p3). I wonder if this is related to the transition from ufs to zfs?