On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:03 AM, Orvar Korvar <
knatte_fnatte_tja...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "You can't expand a normal RAID, either, anywhere I've ever seen."
> Is this true?
>
> A "vdev" can be a group of discs configured as raidz1/mirror/etc. An zfs
> raid consists of several vdev. You can add a new vdev whenever you want.

Close.

A vdev consists of one or more disks configured as stand-alone (no
redundancy), mirror, or raidz (along with a couple of special duty vdevs:
cache, log, or spare).

A pool consists of multiple vdevs, preferably of the same configuration (all
mirrors, all raidz1, all raidz2, etc).

You can add vdevs to the pool at anytime.

You cannot expand a raidz vdev by adding drives, though (convert a 4-drive
raidz1 to a 5-drive raidz1). Nor can you convert between raidz types
(4-drive raidz1 to a 6-drive raidz2).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com