From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Richard Elling
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 3:51 AM
To: Roman Naumenko
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] one more time: pool size changes

On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Roman Naumenko wrote:
> Recently I talked to a co-worker who manages NetApp storages. We discussed
size changes for pools in zfs and aggregates in NetApp.

> And some time before I had suggested to a my buddy zfs for his new home
storage server, but he turned it down since there is no expansion available
for a pool.

Heck, let him buy a NetApp :-)

> And he really wants to be able to add a drive or couple to an existing
pool. Yes, there are ways to expand storage to some extent without
rebuilding it. Like replacing disk with larger ones. Not enough for a
typical home user I would say.

Why not? I do this quite often. Growing is easy, shrinking is more
challenging.

> And this is might be an important for corporate too. Frankly speaking I
doubt there are many administrators use it in DC environment.

> Nevertheless, NetApp appears to have such feature as I learned from my
co-worker. It works with some restrictions (you have to zero disks before
adding, and rebalance the aggregate after and still without perfect
distribution) - but Ontap is able to do aggregates expansion nevertheless.

> So, my question is: what does prevent to introduce the same for zfs at
present time? Is this because of the design of zfs, or there is simply no
demand for it in community?

Its been there since 2005: zpool subcommand add.
 -- richard

--
Richard Elling
rich...@nexenta.com   +1-760-896-4422