On 7/12/2010 8:49 AM, Linder, Doug wrote:
Erik Trimble wrote:

it does look like they'll win, I would bet huge chunks of money that
Oracle cross-licenses the patents or pays for a license, rather than
kill ZFS (it simply makes too much money for Oracle to abandon).
Out of sheer curiosity - and I'm not disagreeing with you, just wondering - how
does ZFS make money for Oracle when they don't charge for it?  Do you think
it's such an important feature that it's a big factor in customers picking
Solaris over other platforms?
It's a core part of the Storage 7000-series appliances. They would be significantly less appealing without ZFS.

And, yes, it *is* a huge selling point for Solaris. Solaris/ZFS is a decisive factor in much of Oracle's storage server sales.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support