On 7/12/2010 9:09 AM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
And, the next release of Solaris (whenever it comes out) is supposed to
make far more use of zfs for things like its packaging system (upgrades
using snapshots, etc.) and zones.  Indeed, its possible (I've not
checked in a long time) that S10 makes of snapshots for live upgrade if
root is zfs.

Solaris 10 LiveUpgrade does indeed currently use ZFS snapshots. It has for at least the last couple of Update release (I want to say it appeared in Update 6, but I can't remember exactly). I'd have to look, but I don't think ZFS is *currently* used for the zone scripts, though there's no barrier for it to be used with (or inside) zones.

ZFS is a key strategic component of Solaris going forward.  Having to
abandon it would be a heavy blow -- quite possibly (IMO) fatal -- at
least to its future with Oracle.

        - Garrett
Losing ZFS would indeed be disastrous, as it would leave Solaris with only the Veritas File System (VxFS) as a semi-modern filesystem, and a non-native FS at that (i.e. VxFS is a 3rd-party for-pay FS, which severely inhibits its uptake). UFS is just way to old to be competitive these days.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support