On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Edward Ned Harvey
<solar...@nedharvey.com> wrote:
>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
>>
>> When you pay for the higher prices for OEM hardware, you're paying for
>> the
>> knowledge of parts availability and compatibility.  And a single point
>> vendor who supports the system as a whole, not just one component.
>
> For the record:
>
> I'm not saying this is always worth while.  Sometimes I buy the enterprise
> product and triple-platinum support.  Sometimes I buy generic blackboxes
> with mfgr warranty on individual components.  It depends on your specific
> needs at the time.
>
> I will say, that I am a highly paid senior admin.  I only buy the generic
> black boxes if I have interns or junior (no college level) people available
> to support them.

Generic != black boxes. Quite the opposite.

Some companies are successfully doing the opposite of you: They are
using standard parts and a competent staff that knows how to create
solutions out of them without having to pay for GUI-powered systems
and a 4-hour on-site part swapping service.

--
Giovanni Tirloni
gtirl...@sysdroid.com