On Jul 20, 2010, at 6:14 PM, Gregory Gee wrote:

> To further this question, I have been searching for a while and can't find
> any reference to the difference and benefits between zfs sharenfs and nfs
> share.  Currently I am using standard NFS I believe.
>
> share -F nfs -o anon=0,sec=sys,rw=xenserver0:xenserver1 /files/VM
>
> ad...@nas:/files$ zfs list
> NAME                       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> pool2                     40.8G   142G    19K  /pool2
> pool2/VM                  40.8G   142G  38.4G  /files/VM
>
> Is one way better than the other?  I've also been looking for a migration
> guide from nfs to zfs sharenfs.  Any pointers?

When imported, ZFS will send the contents of the sharenfs parameter
to share(1m) along with the file share type (nfs) and file system mount point
(eg /files/VM).  Other than that, they are the same.

For a standalone system, it probably is a wash.  For clusters, it is very
nice to be able to administer the shares once and have that administration
travel along with the file system instead of being located elsewhere, like
/etc/dfstab

--
Richard Elling
rich...@nexenta.com   +1-760-896-4422