Richard Elling wrote:
> Gregory Gee wrote:
> > I am using OpenSolaris to host VM images over NFS for XenServer.  I'm
> > looking
>for tips on what parameters can be set to help optimize my ZFS pool that holds
>my VM images.
> There is nothing special about tuning for VMs, the normal NFS tuning applies.

That's not been my experience. Out of the box VMware server would not work with
the VMs stored on a zfs pool via NFS. I've not yet found out why but the
analytics showed millions of getattr/access/lookup compared to read/write.

A partial workaround was to turn off access time on the share and to mount with
noatime,actimeo=60

But that's not perfect because when left along the VM got into a "stuck" state.
I've never seen that state before when the VM was hosted on a local disk.
Hosting VMs on NFS is not working well so far...