On 07/22/10 04:00, Orvar Korvar wrote:
Ok, so the bandwidth will be cut in half, and some people use this
configuration. But, how bad is it to have the bandwidth cut in half?
Will it hardly notice?

For a home server, I doubt you'll notice.

I've set up several systems (desktop & home server) as follows:
        - two large conventional disks, mirrored, as data pool.

        - single X25-M, 80GB, divided in three slices:
                50% in slice 0 as root pool,
                        (with dedup & compression enabled, and
                        copies=2 for rpool/ROOT)
                1GB in slice 3 as ZIL for data pool
                remainder in slice 4 as L2ARC for data pool.

two conventional disks + 1 ssd performs much better than two disks alone. If I needed more space (I haven't, yet), I'd add another mirror pair or two to the data pool.

I've been very happy with the results.

                                        - Bill