On 25 Jul 2010, at 14:12, Ben <ben.lav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've read a small amount about compression, enough to find that it'll effect
> performance (not a problem for me) and that once you enable compression it
> only effects new files written to the file system.

Yes, that's true. Compression on defaults to lzjb which is fast; but gzip-9 can
be twice as good. (I've just done some tests on the MacZFS port on my blog for
more info)

> Is this still true of b134?  And if it is, how can I compress all of the
> current data on the file system?  Do I have to move it off then back on?

Any changes to the filesystem only take effect on newly written/updated files.
You could do a cp to force a rewrite but in the interim would take space for
the old and new copies; furthermore, if you have snapshots, then even removing
the old (uncompressed) files won't get the space back.

If you destroy all snapshots, then do a cp/rm on a file by file basis you may
be able to do an in-place compression.

Alex