> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Chris Twa
>
> I have three zpools on a server and want to add a mirrored pair of
> ssd's for the ZIL.  Can the same pair of SSDs be used for the ZIL of
> all three zpools or is it one ZIL SLOG device per zpool?

If you format, fdisk, and partition the disks, you can use the slices for
slogs.  (You can also implement it in some other ways.)  However, the point
of the slog device is *performance* so you're defeating your purpose by
doing this.

People are always tempted to put more than one log onto a SSD because "Hey,
the system could never use more than 8G, but I've got a 32G drive!  What a
waste of money!"  Which has some truth in it.  But the line of thought you
should have is "Hey, the system will do its best to max out the 3Gbit/sec or
6Gbit/sec bus to the drive, so that disk is already fully utilized!"