> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Paul Kraus
>
>        I am looking for references of folks using ZFS with either NFS
> or iSCSI as the backing store for VMware (4.x) backing store for
> virtual machines.

Since I had ulterior motives to test this, I spent a lot of time today
working on this anyway.  So I figured I might as well post some results
here:

#1  If there's any performance difference between iscsi vs nfs, it was
undetectable to me.  If there's any difference at all, nfs might be faster
in some cases.
#2  I previously speculated that performance of iscsi would outperform nfs,
because I thought vmware would create a file on NFS and then format that
file with vmfs3, thus doubling filesystem overhead.  I was wrong.  In
reality, ESXi uses the NFS datastore "raw."  Meaning, if you create some new
VM named "junk" with associated disks "junk.vmdk" etc, then those files are
created inside the NFS file server just like any other normal files.  There
is no vmfs3 overhead in between.
#3  I previously believed that vmfs3 was able to handle sparse files
amazingly well, like, when you create a new vmdk, it appears almost
instantly regardless of size, and I believed you could copy sparse vmdk's
efficiently, not needing to read all the sparse consecutive zeroes.  I was
wrong.  In reality, vmfs3 doesn't seem to have any advantage over *any*
other filesystems (ntfs, ext3, hfs+, etc) to create and occupy disk space
with the sparse files.  They do not copy efficiently.  I found that copying
a large sparse vmdk file, for all intents and purposes, works just as well
inside vmfs3 as it does in nfs.

Those things being said ... I couldn't find one reason at all in favor of
iscsi over nfs.  Except, perhaps, the authentication which may or may not be
stronger security than NFS in a less-than-trusted LAN.

iscsi requires more work to setup.
iscsi has more restrictions on it - You have to choose a size, and can't
expand it.  It's formatted vmfs3, so you cannot see the contents in any way
other than mounting it in esx.

I could not find even one thing, to promote iscsi over nfs.

Although it seems unlikely, if you wanted to disable ZIL instead of buying
log devices on the ZFS host, you can easily do this for NFS, and I'm not
aware of any way to do it with iscsi.  Maybe you can, I don't know.

I mean ... It wasn't like Mike Tyson beating up a little kid, but it was
like a grown-up beating up an adolescent.  ;-)  Extremely one-sided as far
as I can tell.