>That's a very good question actually. I would think that COMSTAR would
>stay because its used by the Fishworks appliance... however, COMSTAR is
>a competitive advantage for DIY storage solutions. Maybe they will rip
>it out of S11 and make it an add-on or something. That would suck.

>I guess the only real reason you can't yank COMSTAR is because its now
>the basis for iSCSI Target support. But again, there is nothing saying
>that Target support has to be part of the standard OS offering.

>Scary to think about. :)

>benr.

That would be the sensible commercial decision, and kill off the competition in
the storage market using OpenSolaris based product.

I haven't found a linux that can reliably spin the 100Tb I currently have
behind OpenSolaris and ZFS.
Luckily b134 doesn't seem to have any major issues, and I'm currently looking
into a USB boot/raidz root combination for 1U storage.

I ran Red Hat 9 with updated packages for quite a few years.
As long as the kernel is stable, and you can work through the hurdles, it can
still do the job.

Mark.