I have an X4540 running b134 where I'm replacing 500GB disks with 2TB disks (Seagate Constellation) and the pool seems sick now. The pool has four raidz2 vdevs (8+2) where the first set of 10 disks were replaced a few months ago. I replaced two disks in the second set (c2t0d0, c3t0d0) a couple of weeks ago, but have been unable to get the third disk to finish replacing (c4t0d0).

I have tried the resilver for c4t0d0 four times now and the pool also comes up with checksum errors and a permanent error (<metadata>:<0x0>). The first resilver was from 'zpool replace', which came up with checksum errors. I cleared the errors which triggered the second resilver (same result). I then did a 'zpool scrub' which started the third resilver and also identified three permanent errors (the two additional were in files in snapshots which I then destroyed). I then did a 'zpool clear' and then another scrub which started the fourth resilver attempt. This last attempt identified another file with errors in a snapshot that I have now destroyed.

Any ideas how to get this disk finished being replaced without rebuilding the pool and restoring from backup? The pool is working, but is reporting as degraded and with checksum errors.

Here is what the pool currently looks like:

 # zpool status -v pool2
  pool: pool2
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
        entire pool from backup.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
 scrub: resilver completed after 33h9m with 4 errors on Thu Sep 16 00:28:14
config:

        NAME              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        pool2             DEGRADED     0     0     8
          raidz2-0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t4d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t4d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t4d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t4d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t4d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t4d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t5d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t5d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t5d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t5d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-1        DEGRADED     0     0    14
            c0t5d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t5d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t1d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t1d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t1d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t1d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t0d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t0d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            replacing-8   DEGRADED     0     0     0
              c4t0d0s0/o  OFFLINE      0     0     0
              c4t0d0      ONLINE       0     0     0  268G resilvered
            c5t0d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-2        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t6d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t6d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t6d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t6d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t6d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t6d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t7d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t7d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t7d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t7d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-3        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t7d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t7d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t3d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t3d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t3d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t3d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c2t2d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c3t2d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t2d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t2d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs
          mirror-4        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t1d0s0      ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t3d0s0      ONLINE       0     0     0
        cache
          c0t3d0s7        ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

        <metadata>:<0x0>
        <0x167a2>:<0x552ed>
(This second file was in a snapshot I destroyed after the resilver completed).

# zpool list pool2
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
pool2  31.8T  13.8T  17.9T    43%  1.65x  DEGRADED  -

The slog is a mirror of two SLC SSDs and the L2ARC is an MLC SSD.

thanks,
Ben