On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Nicolas Williams wrote:

> Right.  That only happens from NFSv3 clients [that don't instead edit the
> POSIX Draft ACL translated from the ZFS ACL], from non-Windows NFSv4
> clients [that don't instead edit the ACL], and from local applications
> [that don't instead edit the ZFS ACL].

You mean the vast majority of applications in existance ;)? Other than
chmod(1) in Solaris, and nfs4_(get|set)_facl in Linux, can you name off the
top of your head *any* other applications that grok ZFS/NFSv4 ACLs (as
opposed to blindly chmod'ing stuff and breaking your access control
<sigh>)? (and GUI front ends to chmod/(get_set)_facl don't count :) ).

I'm still waiting for the bug in Solaris chgrp that breaks ACLs to get
fixed; I reported that last year sometime. And *that's* a core component of
the Solaris OS itself; what's the chance of a timely response from a 3rd
party vendor whose application doesn't play nicely with ACLs?

<broken record>
If only there was some way to keep applications from screwing up your ACLs
with inappropriate uses of chmod...
</broken record>

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/