Am 12.10.10 14:21, schrieb Edward Ned Harvey:
From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Stephan Budach

           c3t2100001378AC0253d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
How many disks are there inside of c3t2100001378AC0253d0?

How are they configured?  Hardware raid 5?  A mirror of two hardware raid
5's?  The point is:  This device, as seen by ZFS, is not a pure storage
device.  It is a high level device representing some LUN or something, which
is configured&  controlled by hardware raid.

If there's zero redundancy in that device, then scrub would probably find
the checksum errors consistently and repeatably.

If there's some redundancy in that device, then all bets are off.  Sometimes
scrub might read the "good half" of the data, and other times, the bad half.

But then again, the error might not be in the physical disks themselves.
The error might be somewhere in the raid controller(s) or the interconnect.
Or even some weird unsupported driver or something.

Both raid boxes run raid6 with 16 drives each. This is the reason I was running a non-mirrored pool in the first place. I fully understand that zfs' power comes to play, when you're running with multiple independent drives, but that was what I got at hand.

I now also got what you meant by "good half" but I don't dare to say whether or not this is also the case in a raid6 setup.

Regards

--
Stephan Budach
Jung von Matt/it-services GmbH

Tel: +49 40-4321-1353
Fax: +49 40-4321-1114
E-Mail: stephan.bud...@jvm.de
Internet: http://www.jvm.com

Geschäftsführer: Ulrich Pallas, Frank Wilhelm
AG HH HRB 98380