On 11/26/2010 1:11 PM, Krunal Desai wrote:
What about powering the X25-E by an external power source, one that is also
solid-state and backed by a UPS?  In my experience, smaller power supplies tend
to be much more reliable than typical ATX supplies.
I don't think the different PSU would be an issue, The supply you've linked
doesn't seem to care about linking grounds together.

or even more reliable would be a PicoPSU w/ a hack to make sure that the power
is always on.

Has anyone tried something like this?  Powering ZILs using a second, more
reliable PSU?  Thoughts?
I hacked up a PicoPSU for robotics use (running off +24V and providing +5/+3.3); your
"always-on" should be as easy as shorting the green-black wires (short Pin 14
to ground) with a little solder jumper.

But wouldn't you need some type of reset trigger for when the system is reset?
Or is that performed by the SATA controller?

Frankly, adding something to the controller card (and, that's where you'd have to put it, since just providing UPS power to the SSD wouldn't be sufficient) is going to be a nightmare, and I would suspect ultimately creates more unreliability and failure than it solves.

I've gone to using an OCZ Vertex 2 EX, which has a supercapacitor on-board to enable full consistency in case of a power outage.

OCZSSD2-2VTXEX50G

It's not cheap ($800 / 50G), and you *really* want to make sure you get the 4k alignment right, but I haven't had any real problems with it.

I haven't had a chance to test a Vertex 2 PRO against my 2 EX, and I'd be interested if anyone else has. The EX is SLC-based, and the PRO is MLC-based, but the claimed performance numbers are similar. If the PRO works well, it's less than half the cost, and would be a nice solution for most users who don't need ultra-super-performance from their ZIL. The DDRdrive is still the way to go for the ultimate ZIL accelleration, but it's pricey as hell.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support