On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Christopher George <cgeo...@ddrdrive.com>wrote:

> > I haven't had a chance to test a Vertex 2 PRO against my 2 EX, and I'd
> > be interested if anyone else has.
>
> I recently presented at the OpenStorage Summit 2010 and compared
> exactly the three devices you mention in your post (Vertex 2 EX,
> Vertex 2 Pro, and the DDRdrive X1) as ZIL Accelerators.
>
> Jump to slide 37 for the write IOPS benchmarks:
>
> http://www.ddrdrive.com/zil_accelerator.pdf
>
> > and you *really* want to make sure you get  the 4k alignment right
>
> Excellent point, starting on slide 66 the performance impact of partition
> misalignment is illustrated.  Considering the results, longevity might be
> an even greater concern than decreased IOPS performance as ZIL
> acceleration is a worst case scenario for a Flash based SSD.
>
> > The DDRdrive is still the way to go for the ultimate ZIL accelleration,
> > but it's pricey as hell.
>
> In addition to product cost, I believe IOPS/$ is a relevant point of
> comparison.
>
> Google products gives the price range for the OCZ 50GB SSDs:
> Vertex 2 EX (OCZSSD2-2VTXEX50G: $870 - $1,011 USD)
> Vertex 2 Pro (OCZSSD2-2VTXP50G:  $399 - $525 USD)
>
> 4KB Sustained and Aligned Mixed Write IOPS results (See pdf above):
> Vertex 2 EX (6325 IOPS)
> Vertex 2 Pro (3252 IOPS)
> DDRdrive X1 (38701 IOPS)
>
> Using the lowest online price for both the Vertex 2 EX and Vertex 2 Pro,
> and the full list price (SRP) of the DDRdrive X1.
>
> IOPS/Dollar($):
> Vertex 2 EX (6325 IOPS / $870)  =  7.27
> Vertex 2 Pro (3252 IOPS / $399)  =  8.15
> DDRdrive X1 (38701 IOPS / $1,995)  =  19.40
>
> Best regards,

Why would you disable TRIM on an SSD benchmark?  I can't imagine anyone
intentionally crippling their drive in the real-world.  Furthermore, I don't
think "1 hour sustained" is a very accurate benchmark.  Most workloads are
bursty in nature.  If you're doing sustained high-IOPS workloads like that,
the back-end is going to fall over and die long before the hour time-limit.
Your 38k IOPS would need nearly 500 drives to sustain that workload with any
kind of decent latency.  If you've got 500 drives, you're going to want a
hell of a lot more ZIL space than the ddrdrive currently provides.

I'm all for benchmarks, but try doing something a bit more realistic.

--Tim