> From: Ross Walker [mailto:rswwal...@gmail.com]
>
> Well besides databases there are VM datastores, busy email servers, busy
> ldap servers, busy web servers, and I'm sure the list goes on and on.
>
> I'm sure it is much harder to list servers that are truly sequential in IO
then
> random. This is especially true when you have thousands of users hitting
it.

Depends on the purpose of your server.  For example, I have a ZFS server
whose sole purpose is to receive a backup data stream from another machine,
and then write it to tape.  This is a highly sequential operation, and I use
raidz.

Some people have video streaming servers.  And http/ftp servers with large
files.  And a fileserver which is the destination for laptop whole-disk
backups.  And a repository that stores iso files and rpm's used for OS
installs on other machines.  And data capture from lab equipment.  And
packet sniffer / compliance email/data logger.

and I'm sure the list goes on and on.  ;-)