Hi all, I'm trying to simulate a drive failure and recovery on a
raidz array. I'm able to do so using 'replace', but this requires
an extra disk that was not part of the array. How do you manage when
you don't have or need an extra disk yet?

For example when I 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad6', or physically remove
the drive for awhile, then 'online' the disk, after it resilvers I'm
typically left with the following after scrubbing:

r...@file:~# zpool status
  pool: pool
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
 scrub: scrub completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri Dec 10 23:45:56 2010
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        pool        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad12    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad13    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad4     ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad6     ONLINE       0     0     7

errors: No known data errors

http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P lists my above actions as a cause for this
state and rightfully doesn't think them serious. When I 'clear' the errors
though and offline/fault another drive, and then reboot, the array faults.
That tells me ad6 was never fully integrated back in. Can I tell the array
to re-add ad6 from scratch? 'detach' and 'remove' don't work for raidz.
Otherwise I need to use 'replace' to get out of this situation.

My system:

r...@file:~# uname -a
FreeBSD file 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Nov 28 13:36:08 SAST
2010     r...@file:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/COWNEL  amd64
r...@file:~# dmesg | grep ZFS
ZFS filesystem version 4
ZFS storage pool version 15