On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Gareth de Vaux <z...@lordcow.org> wrote:
> On Mon 2010-12-13 (16:41), Marion Hakanson wrote:
>> After you "clear" the errors, do another "scrub" before trying anything
>> else.  Once you get a complete scrub with no new errors (and no checksum
>> errors), you should be confident that the damaged drive has been fully
>> re-integrated into the pool.
>
> Ok I did a scrub after zero'ing, and the array came back clean, apparently,
> but
> same final result - the array faults as soon as I 'offline' a different vdev.
> The zero'ing is just a pretend-the-errors-aren't-there directive, and the
> scrub
> seems to be listening to that. What I need in this situation is a way to
> prompt ad6 to resilver from scratch.

I think scrub doesn't replace all superblocks or other stuff not in
the active dataset but rather some drive labels.

have you tried zpool replace? like remove ad6, fill with zeroes,
replace, command "zpool replace tank ad6". That should simulate drive
failure and replacement with a new disk.

--
- Tuomas