> Oh well.  Already, the weird crash has happened again.  So we're concluding
> two things:
> -1-  The broadcom nic is definitely the cause of the crash.
> and
> -2-  Even with the new "upgrade" downgrade, the problem is not solved.

> So the solution is add-on intel nic, and disable broadcom integrated nic.

And if I may conclude my own findings.

"random crashes" and Broadcom issues are separate non-related problems afaik,
we have some R710's with Broadcom nics that seem to be stable over several
months and other R710's with cannot keep it together for even week or so. Both
have identical fw/bios versions.

1) there is/was problem with Broadcom nics loosing network connectivity with
every OS, including solaris, this was fixed by software patches in sol10 and
sol11 express, and non official driver update was made for snv_134.
    workaround for this issue was to disable c-states from bios under processor
configuration.
2) there is somekind of unstability issue not related to nics with latest batch
of R710 series servers, crashes occur randomly, but seemed to get fixed in
Solaris 11 Express, no idea on sol10 though. We have yet to test if this is
somehow related to processor/memory configuration being used, mind you that
software and firmware versions are identical on "stable" R710's and crashing
ones.
3) there was also problems with system disk going missing suddenly (when using
sas 6ir), I think it's somewhat related to problem 2), happens rarely though.
4) Solaris 11 Express and latest R710's introduced new Broadcom problem, random
network hiccups. Disabling C-states does not help. Planning to open SR for
this, seems very much different from original problem (OS is not aware what
happens at all).

My solution for issues would be not to use R710 in anything more serious, it is
definitely platform that has more problems than I'm interested in debugging for
(:

Yours
Markus Kovero

-