Hiya,

I have been playing with ZFS for a few days now on a test PC, and I plan to use
if for my home media server after being very impressed!

I've got the basics of creating zpools and zfs filesystems with compression and
dedup etc, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to handle security. I'm
using Windows 7 clients by the way.

I have used this 'guide' to do the permissions - http://www.slepicka.net/?p=37

Also, at present I have 5x 1TB drives to use in my home server so I plan to
create a RAID-Z1 pool which will have my shares on it (Movies, Music, Pictures
etc). I then plan to increase this in sets of 5 (so another 5x 1TB drives in
Jan and nother 5 in Feb/March so that I can avoid all disks being from the same
batch). I did plan on creating seperate zpoolz with each set of 5 drives;

drives 1-5 volume0 zpool
drives 6-10 volume1 zpool
drives 11-15 volume2 zpool

so that I can sustain 3 simultaneous drives failures, as long as it's one drive
from each set. However I think this will mean each zpool will have independant
shares which I don't want. I have used this guide -
http://southbrain.com/south/tutorials/zpools.html - which says you can combine
zpools into a 'parent' zpool, but can this be done in my scenario (staggered)
as it looks like the child zpools have to be created before the parent is done.
So basically I'd need to be able to;

Create volume0 zpool now
Create volume1 zpool in Jan, then combine volume0 and volume1 into a parent
zpool
Create volume2 in Feb/March and add to parent zpool

I know I could just add each disk to volume0 zpool but I've read it's a bugger
to do and that creating seperate zpools with news disks is a much better way to
go.

I think that's it for now. Sorry for the mammoth first post!

Thanks