> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Lanky Doodle
>
> This is relevant as my final setup was planned to be 15 disks, so only one
> more than the example.
>
> So, do I drop one disk and go with 2 7 drive vdevs, or stick to 3 5 drive
vdevs.

Both ways are fine.  Consider the balance between redundancy and drive
space.

Also, in the event of a resilver, the 3x5 radiz will be faster.  In rough
numbers, suppose you have 1TB drives, 70% full.  Then your resilver might be
8 days instead of 12 days.  That's important when you consider the fact that
during that window, you have degraded redundancy.  Another failed disk in
the same vdev would destroy the entire pool.

Also if a 2nd disk fails during resilver, it's more likely to be in the same
vdev, if you have only 2 vdev's.  Your odds are better with smaller vdev's,
both because the resilver completes faster, and the probability of a 2nd
failure in the same vdev is smaller.

For both performance and reliability reasons, I recommend nothing except
single-drive mirrors, except in extreme data-is-not-important situations.
At least, that's my recommendation until someday, when the resilver
efficiency is improved, or "fixed."