Sent from my iPhone (which had a lousy user interface which makes it all too
easy for a clumsy oaf like me to touch "Send" before I'm done)...

On 23 Dec 2010, at 11:07, Phil Harman <phil.har...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great question. In "good enough" computing, beauty is in the eye of the
> beholder. My home NAS appliance uses mirrorwd IDE and SATA drives without a
> dedicated ZIL

device. And for my home SMB and NFS, that's good enough.

I'm sure that even a 7200rpm SATA ZIL would improve things inmy case.

The random I/O requirement for the ZIL is discussed by Adam (and Chris) here ...

> http://dtrace.org/blogs/ahl/2010/11/15/zil-analysis-from-chris-george/

What I find most encouraging is this statement:

> "if HDDs and commodity SSDs continue to be target ZIL devices, ZFS could and
> should do more to ensure that writes are sequential."

It's not broken, but it is suboptimal, and fixable (apparently) ;)