2010/12/24 Edward Ned Harvey
<opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com>:
>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Stephan Budach
>>
>> Now, I am wondering if using a mirror of such 15k SAS drives would be a
>> good-enough fit for a ZIL on a zpool that is mainly used for file services
> via
>> AFP and SMB.
>
> For supporting AFP and SMB, most likely, you would be perfectly happy simply
> disabling the ZIL.  You will get maximum performance... Even higher than the
> world's fastest SSD or DDRDrive or any other type of storage device for
> dedicated log.  To determine if this is ok for you, be aware of the argument
> *against* disabling the ZIL:
>
> In the event of an ungraceful crash, with ZIL enabled, you lose up to 30 sec
> of async data, but you do not lose any sync data.
>
> In the event of an ungraceful crash, with ZIL disabled, you lose up to 30
> sec of async and sync data.
>
> In neither case do you have data corruption, or a corrupt filesystem.  The
> only question is about 30 seconds of sync data.  You must protect this type
> of data, if you're running a database, ...

With Netatalk for AFP he _is_ running a database: any AFP server needs
to maintain a consistent mapping between _not reused_ catalog node ids
(CNIDs) and filesystem objects. Luckily for Apple, HFS[+] and their
Cocoa/Carbon APIs provide such a mapping making diirect use of HFS+
CNIDs. Unfortunately most UNIX filesystem reuse inodes and have no API
for mapping inodes to filesystem objects. Therefor all AFP servers
running on non-Apple OSen maintain a database providing this mapping,
in case of Netatalk it's `cnid_dbd` using a BerkeleyDB database.

-f