> You're assuming that the "into an empty device" performance is
> required by their application.

My assumption was stated in the paragraph prior, i.e. vendor promised
random write IOPS.  Based on the inquires we receive, most *actually*
expect an OCZ SSD to perform as specified which is 50K 4KB
random writes for both the Vertex 2 EX and the Vertex 2 Pro.

The point I was trying to make, Secure Erase is not a viable solution to
write IOPS degradation, of the above listed SSDs, relative to published
specifications.

I think we can all agree, if "Secure Erase" could magically solve the
problem it would already be implemented by the SSD controller.

> For many users, the worst-case steady-state of the device (6k IOPS
> the Vertex2 EX, depending on workload, as per slide 48 in your
> presentation) is so much faster than a rotating drive (50x faster,
> assuming that cache disabled on a rotating drive is roughly 100
> IOPS with queueing), that it'll still provide a huge performance boost
> when used as a ZIL in their system.

I agree 100%.  I never intended to insinuate otherwise :-)

Best regards,

Christopher George
Founder/CTO
www.ddrdrive.com