On Dec 21, 2010, at 5:05 AM, Deano wrote:

> The question therefore is, is there room in the software implementation to
> achieve performance and reliability numbers similar to expensive drives
> whilst using relative cheap drives?

For some definition of "similar," yes. But using relatively cheap drives does
not mean the overall system cost will be cheap.  For example, $250 will buy
8.6K random IOPS @ 4KB in an SSD[1], but to do that with "cheap disks" might
require eighty 7,200 rpm SATA disks.

> ZFS is good but IMHO easy to see how it can be improved to better meet this
> situation, I can’t currently say when this line of thinking and code will
> move from research to production level use (tho I have a pretty good idea ;)
> ) but I wouldn’t bet on the status quo lasting much longer. In some ways the
> removal of OpenSolaris may actually be a good thing, as its catalyized a
> number of developers from the view that zfs is Oracle led, to thinking “what
> can we do with zfs code as a base”?

There are more people outside of Oracle developing for ZFS than inside Oracle.
This has been true for some time now.

> Ffor example how about sticking a cheap 80GiB commodity SSD in the storage
> case. When a resilver or defrag is required, use it as a scratch space to
> give you a block of fast IOPs storage space to accelerate the slow parts.
> When its done secure erase and power it down, ready for the next time a
> resilver needs to happen. The hardware is available, just needs someone to
> write the software…

In general, SSDs will not speed resilver unless the resilvering disk is an SSD.

[1]
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/nand/feature/index.htm
 -- richard