On 01/ 4/11 11:35 PM, Robert Milkowski wrote:
On 01/ 3/11 04:28 PM, Richard Elling wrote:
On Jan 3, 2011, at 5:08 AM, Robert Milkowski wrote:

On 12/26/10 05:40 AM, Tim Cook wrote:

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com <mailto:richard.ell...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    There are more people outside of Oracle developing for ZFS than
    inside Oracle.
    This has been true for some time now.

Pardon my skepticism, but where is the proof of this claim (I'm quite certain you know I mean no disrespect)? Solaris11 Express was a massive leap in functionality and bugfixes to ZFS. I've seen exactly nothing out of "outside of Oracle" in the time since it went closed. We used to see updates bi-weekly out of Sun. Nexenta spending hundreds of man-hours on a GUI and userland apps isn't work on ZFS.

Exactly my observation as well. I haven't seen any ZFS related development happening at Ilumos or Nexenta, at least not yet.

I am quite sure you understand how pipelines work :-)

Are you suggesting that Nexenta is developing new ZFS features behind closed doors (like Oracle...) and then will share code later-on? Somehow I don't think so... but I would love to be proved wrong :)

I mean I would love to see Nexenta start delivering real innovation in Solaris/Illumos kernel (zfs, networking, ...), not that I would love to see it happening behind a closed doors :)

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com