> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Tim Cook
>

> The claim was that there are more people contributing code from outside of
> Oracle than inside to zfs.  Your contributions to Illumos do absolutely
nothing

Guys, please let's just say this much:

To all those who are contributing to the open-source ZFS code, freebsd,
illumos project, and others, thank you very much.  :-)  We know certain
things are stable and production ready, but there has not yet been much
forward development after zpool 28, but the effort is well appreciated, and
for whatever comes next, yes we can all be patient.

Right now, Oracle is not contributing at all to the open source branches of
any of these projects.  So right now it's fair to say the non-oracle
contributions to the OPEN SOURCE ZFS outweighs the nonexistent oracle
contributions.  However, Oracle is continuing to develop the closed-source
ZFS.

I don't know if anyone has real numbers, dollars contributed or number of
developer hours etc, but I think it's fair to say that oracle is probably
contributing more to the closed source ZFS right now, than the rest of the
world is contributing to the open source ZFS right now.  Also, we know that
the closed source ZFS right now is more advanced than the open source ZFS
(zpool 31 vs 28).  Oracle closed source ZFS is ahead, and probably
developing faster too, than the open source ZFS right now.

If anyone has any good way to draw more contributors into the open source
tree, that would also be useful and appreciated.  Gosh, it would be nice to
get major players like Dell, HP, IBM, Apple contributing into that project.