For anyone that is interested, here's a progress report.

I created a new pool with only one mirror vdev of 2 disks, namely with the new
SAMSUNG HD204UI. These drives, along with the older HD203WI, use Advanced
Format Technology (e.g. 4K sectors). Only these drives had hard errors in my
pool, as opposed the the old Seagates and WDs.

To create the new pool, I recompiled the zpool cmd to give the value of ashift
12 so that the new pool has an alignement of 4K instead of 512 bytes (see here
:
http://www.solarismen.de/archives/5-Solaris-and-the-new-4K-Sector-Disks-e.g.-WDxxEARS-Part-2.html).

So I filled this new 4K aligned pool with 1.5TB of data, scrubbed it and no
errors. I checked the log and no hard errors either. Usually after a scrub I
get some hard errors.

Maybe the pool needs to have more vdevs in it to really stress the HBA and
produce hard errors, but it's a strange coincidence nonetheless that only the
4K drives had errors and then when used in a 4K aligned pool, no more errors.

I'll probably re-create my original pool with only 4K drives in a 4K aligned
pool and see what happens.