Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com> writes:

> In my experience, this looks like a set of devices sitting behind an
> expander. I have seen one bad disk take out all disks sitting behind
> an expander.  I have also seen bad disk firmware take out all disks
> behind an expander.  I once saw a bad cable take out everything.
>  -- richard

In my experience i ve also seen the same problems.
a lot of sata disks (seagate barracuda ES.2 and other) all behind
expanders (supermicro sc847 chassis)

the issue were solved after we removed all sata disks behind our
expander and replaced them with Enterprise SAS Disks.

thereafter we only faced this problems when an connected sata-ssd died.
so we also moved our sata-ssds away from this backplane and connected
them directly to  the 1068 based controller.

the problem arrised, after we moved a identically server to a expander
backplane (to get more drives connected).
before this discs were running for months without any problems *direct*
attached.

regards
daniel