On 01/18/11 04:00 PM, Repetski, Stephen wrote:

Hi All,

I believe this has been asked before, but I wasn’t able to find too much information about the subject. Long story short, I was moving data around on a storage zpool of mine and a zfs destroy <filesystem> hung (or so I thought). This pool had dedup turned on at times while imported as well; it’s running on a Nexenta Core 3.0.1 box (snv_134f).

The first time the machine was rebooted, it hung at the “Loading ZFS filesystems” line after loading the kernel; I booted the box with all drives unplugged and exported the pool. The machine was rebooted, and now the pool is hanging on import (zpool import –Fn Nalgene). I’m using “0t2761::pid2proc|::walk thread|::findstack" | mdb –k” to try and view what the import processes is doing, but I’m not a hard-core ZFS/Solaris dev so I don’t know if I’m reading the output correctly, but it appears that ZFS is continuing to delete a snapshot/FS from before (reading from the top down):

What does "zpool iostat <pool> 10" show?

If you have a lot a deduped data and not a lot of RAM (or a cache device), it can take a very long time to destroy a filesystem. You will see lot of reads and not many writes if this is happening.

--
Ian.