On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Philip Brown <p...@bolthole.com> wrote:
> So, another hardware question :)
>
> ZFS has been touted as taking maximal advantage of disk hardware, to the
> point where it can be used efficiently and cost-effectively on JBODs, rather
> than having to throw more expensive RAID arrays at it.
>
> Only trouble is.. JBODs seem to have disappeared :(
> Sun/Oracle has discontinued its j4000 line, with no replacement that I can
> see.
>
> IBM seems to have some nice looking hardware in the form of its EXP3500
> "expansion trays"... but they only support it connected to an IBM (SAS)
> controller... which is only supported when plugged into IBM server hardware :(
>
> Any other suggestions for (large-)enterprise-grade, supported JBOD hardware
> for ZFS these days?
> Either fibre or SAS would be okay.

Define "enterprise-grade".  :)  Are you talking about price,
performance, warranty, service, support, fancy name, etc?

For example, SuperMicro has several rackmount chassis (2U, 4U, 5U)
that can act as either storage servers (motherboard inside the case)
or storage trays (no motherboard, extra drive bays, SAS connectors).
Some consider those enterprise-grade (afterall, it's 6 Gbps SAS,
multilaned, multipathed, but not multi-$$$$), some don't (it's not
IBM/Oracle/HP/etc, oh noes!!).

Chenbro also has similar setups to SuperMicro.  Again, it's not
"big-name storage company" nor "uber-expensive", but the technology is
the same.  Is that enterprise-grade?

:D

--
Freddie Cash