A matter of seconds is a long time for a running Oracle database. The point is that if you have to keep writing to a UFS filesystem - "when the file system also needs to accommodate writes" - you're still out of luck. If you can quiesce the apps, great, but if you can't then you're still stuck. In other words, fssnap_ufs doesn't solve the quiesce problem.